Saturday, March 10, 2012

Devices

Sarcasm is a rhetorical that I always use. It is a rhetorical device that insults people by saying something they don't really mean. The way I used it was when I was actually making fun of my friend at our party. She was karaoking and I just thought she was terrible. I sarcastically said, “You sing so well you should try out for American Idol.” I also use hyperbole almost every day. It is a device in which you exaggerate your statement. Yesterday my Mom and I went to the dentist. She likes to strike up a lot of conversations and can talk all day. Sometimes she tends to embarrass me by telling others embarassing stories of me. This time, she had told the cute receptionist I ate most of the chocolate cake before coming to the dentist. I said, “Why did you tell her? That's so embarassing I'm going to jump off a bridge now.”

No comments: