Saturday, April 21, 2012

Misrepresentation of Scientific Findings

One concept I found interesting in chapter 11 was the one that went on about how some scientific findings are reported false. Usually when on the television news, my family automatically believes it is 100% true. But as a current college student, I know to check sources first before believing something since we're always taught to have legitimate sources provided in our essay assignments. In this section, there are many great examples of how reporters can just add a statement whether if it's true or not just so they can grab some attention. I personally think this is not the right way to gain followers or fans. It's like they're playing with other's emotions. This sections also talked about how assumptions from other sources are turned into facts for the reporters which is not fair. We go to the media for what's really happening in the world it shouldn't be playing mind games.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

My family also believes what is on the news is the truth. I have also learned for being in college that you have to double check references because not everything is right all the time. Catchy titles and catch lines should not be used when reporting important news and stories because that misleads the audience. I believe the news is something people watch and read in order to understand what is happening somewhere they are not. Not to hear something that is only said to catch their attention. Changing the news and how stories are covered is something we need tp work on but probably will never actually happen.

JustAGirl said...

Hello,
I thought that the misinterpretation of scientific findings was also an interesting topic in this weeks reading. Reporters can definitely add statements and grab followers by simply switching true facts around. Like you said, it is definitely important to double check facts and sources because it is so easy for them to be falsified or exaggerated. I think one of the biggest offenders of this is the writers of the National Enquirer. Their reports are so crazy and bizarre that they grab our attention, but I would never use that magazine as a source when searching for facts about a story.