Friday, February 17, 2012

Inductive Argument

An inductive argument is when the premises support the conclusion. However, in an inductive argument, the conclusion sometimes won't always be true when you think about the premises. An example of an inductive argument I had experienced was a couple days ago when I couldn't find my favorite piece of clothing. I had came to the conclusion that my sister had stolen it. My premises are that one, she consistently uses my clothes without asking, and two she always, always lies when I ask if she's taken something and then I catch her putting it back the same day. However, after a couple of days I can now say that she didn't take it because she hasn't returned it. Also, I found the jacket in the trunk of my car a week later. Both of my premises were although true, my conclusion was definitely not true. So as you can see, an inductive argument was rather weak in my situation.

2 comments:

Gorgeously Insane said...

Your inductive reasoning example was good although your conclusion was incorrect. I find it funny that you found your clothes in the trunk. I do that often myself. I used to accuse my cousin of taking my clothes because every time I went to her house she had some of my clothes. I definitely understand why you would blame your sister if she were always taking your clothes without asking. This time when you asked your sister if she had taken your clothes without permission she was telling the truth but your used to her lying so you assumed that she had your jacket.

JustAGirl said...

I agree with your post and definitely think that inductive arguments are not the most reliable when reasoning. I love the example you used and when we both lived at home I cannot tell you how many times this scenario happened between me and my sister! We would usually share clothes no problem, but there would be times where something would go missing and I would totally jump the gun and blame her because I knew she had taken stuff without asking before. I’m not going to lie, I totally borrowed stuff without her permission too -- mainly to make her mad like if we were fighting I would do it just to push her buttons =) lol but I had to comment because I totally know where you’re coming from!