Sunday, February 5, 2012

Standing Ground

Working in retail, I had learned to be both professional and myself at the appropriate times. And I can describe myself as a very silly person. I have been working at shopping malls for over 3 years and have never once experienced a store manager who was inappropriate most of the time until my last job at Foreign Exchange. Standing my ground wasn't easy in this type of situation in which I had to choose between keeping the job that is benefitting me financially or leaving so I don't have to be apart of the corrupt store.
My ex-manager would make my co-workers, who have been my friends longer than we've been working together, feel uncomfortable. He would call or text them hours after our store closed, make inappropriate comments about the female customers, and would only talk to the employees to scold them and never once greeted or conversate with. The fact that he even had a sexual relationship with one of the employees shocked me. After hearing that I had to think about my morals and my environment. Did I really want to be around that just to keep the high-paying job?
I stood my ground and had enough with the company. Sure it the most earnings I have ever gotten and my position as assistant manager was as high of a position I will ever get, but to me this part of my life wasn't right and I just had to get out of it. I'm glad I had made a decision to leave because now I am working in a friendly children's where I am just there to help customers and not be bombarded with rumors, nasty comments, and everything else that's definitely not needed in a working environment.

2 comments:

Gorgeously Insane said...

Standing your ground can be extremely hard when it comes to your employment. Retail can get really nasty. I worked at Forever 21 and the Environment was negative with rumors, I finally had a braking point where I decided to leave because I was extremely uncomfortable. Managers shouldn’t have any relations within there work environment it should be strictly professional. You used your critical thinking by staying professional and making a good decision to leave before things got too out of hand. Having money is great but your morals and self-respect are worth way more than what money can buy you.

Miss Summer said...

I am glad to hear that you put your foot down and followed your gut with a decision that is never easy to make. I have never been in an environment where I was as uncomfortable as you were, but if I were, I would have done the same thing. There must have been a lot of critical thinking to consider this choice, due to the high position you were in. It is a blurry line between job satisfaction and pay. It refreshing to see that you favored satisfaction over pay because with a work environment like that, I would think you were crazy to stay. :)