Sunday, February 12, 2012

Penalty

Personally I am a Catholic who believes that God is the only one who can choose to have someone leave our world physicially. The statement in the bible is like that saying about how you should treat others how you want them to treat you. If you changed places, what would you want your sentence to be: imprisonment or death? I feel that most people would choose imprisonment. Sure the actions of the person accused may have been drastic and unbearable, but how can they feel the punishment if they're not alive to. They need the time in a locked cell to feel the guilt and sorrow of those who were the loved ones of the vistim or victims. I know that when I hear on the news of someone getting the death penalty I feel almost sad for both the victim and the person who killed him or her. It's not our choice whether someone should live or die because their accused actions may be false.

3 comments:

Mad Max said...

I think that most people would choose imprisonment over capital punishment until they actually are imprisoned. Life behind bars is a long time to stare at the wall and think about your actions. Charles Manson for example, was originally put on death row but in 1972 the death penalty was temporarily removed and he is now serving life in prison. I saw a documentary on Charles Manson and he now wishes he would have executed instead. After hearing Manson say that, I believe that life in prison is much worse than capital punishment. Though I do believe that taking away someone's life is the ultimate punishment, life in prison draws out the death of a person which really makes the think about what they did and to me that is a worse punishment.

JLynnR said...

Not only do I feel bad for the victim and the person sentenced to death, I feel pain for their families. I've seen a documentary where the mother of a murder victim meets the convicted murderer. She ends up forgiving him and she expresses her sorrow that he has to die for his crime. Although he murdered her daughter, she still had compassion for him because she was able to forgive him and love him as a human being. This may be a rare example but I think it teaches us a very valuable lesson: forgiveness, however hard it may be, is the key to moving on. Forgiveness may be the best closure one can achieve.

Gorgeously Insane said...

Your definitely right most people would choose imprisonment because who really wants to die? I think that ultimately god is the one that has the power to choose who stays and who goes. We shouldn’t be able to say, “I don’t like the crimes you did, so you’re getting the death penalty.” Who are we to say whether or not someone deserves to stay? Everyone should treat each other. I agree that they wont get the opportunity to be punished if they get the death penalty. I honestly think receiving a life sentences makes more sense and it would definitely save the government money. Receiving life will give the person the opportunity to think about the things they have done.